Moderator: Chief Couch Potato Kylie
Two Couch Potatoes Unite! panels
The DCTU Panel…
…and the Marvel’s Defenders Panel
What: CPU!’s Top 5 DC and Marvel Live Action Heroes and Villains
When: CPU! went LIVE! and live streamed at its Facebook page (for the very third time) on October 22, 2016!
Where: Grand Rapids Comic-Con is a comic book and popular arts convention that was held on October 21-23, 2016, at DeVos Place in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This show featured a huge vending room selling comic books; anime/manga; movie memorabilia; action figures; toys; and other cool stuff, as well as several appearances by Hollywood celebrities and comic book artists; a genre-themed film festival sponsored by Compass College of Cinematic Arts; an anime programming room sponsored by Jafax; a world-class art show by Dan’s Dream; a costume contest; an electronic gaming room operated by Nintendo; a board and card gaming room sponsored by Capital City Collectibles; a Magic: The Gathering tournament; a nerd car show; the 501st Legion Of Stormtroopers; the USS Sinclair; the Squirrels Creations Transformers display; the West Michigan Legos train display…and more!
Why: Because we like you! Because we’re all nerds! And because this kind of debate is spicy!
How – as in How’d It Go?
Today’s episode reaches up, up, and away, and is aided and abetted by CPU! regular panelists – heroes and villains alike. Our DCTU Panel (Jen, Hilary, Kyle, and Spencer) and our Marvel’s Defenders Panel (Kristen, Nick, Hilary, Kyle, and Spencer) overlapped and went all out and LIVE for the third try, this time at Grand Rapids Comic Con on October 22, 2016, to debate our Top 5 DC & Marvel Live Action Heroes and Villains, our second stab at a rather lofty Top 5.
If you are new to CPU!’s Top 5 concept, this feature channels panel members’ best Rob Gordons by asking them to come up with their own top 5 TV shows or TV-related items (though this panel includes film, as Marvel live action portrayals would be lost without the Marvel Cinematic Universe) around a painstakingly chosen theme. Then, as a group, the panelists are forced to come up with a consensus, using their individual lists as starting points, that represents the panel at large. The consensus top 5 is presented in the podcast description, which is kind of a big spoiler, but then you’re here to listen to the podcast episode and all of the meaty, juicy discussion (and potential arguments)….right?
In this episode, our comic book adaptation panels from the big two comic universes took on live action portrayals of heroes and villains in both universes (if we added animated portrayals, we would have been there forever). We debate our Top 5 Marvel villains, Marvel heroes, DC villains, and DC heroes. We then debate further to create the ultimate list of the Top 5 Live Action Heroes and Villains – and may the best universe win. Who comes out on top? Who gets the most entries? Read and listen below!
This podcast was live streamed on October 22, 2016. The video is embedded here and uploaded to our Facebook page and YouTube channel; however, technical difficulties occurred, which resulted in an interruption of the stream before the panel was finished. So, below, we have the video of the live stream, the (complete) audio recording of the panel, and the reprint of our lists.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter (@cpupodcast), Instagram (@couchpotatoesunite), Pinterest (@cpupodcast), or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – or subscribe to this blog, the YouTube channel, our iTunes channel, our Stitcher Radio channel , and/or find us on Google Play to keep track of brand new episodes. In the meantime, let us know what you think! Comment or review us in any of the above forums – we’d love your feedback!
Remember, new episodes and blog posts are published weekly! Next Wednesday, we will actually be sticky posting a “Dealer’s Choice” rerun, and a blog post will also be published, as CPU! takes a week off to cater to the lives behind the podcast. If you have a request for a particular show, leave a comment, and, as always, stay tuned!
CPU!’s JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AVENGERS AND DEFENDERS’
TOP 5 DC & MARVEL LIVE ACTION HEROES & VILLAINS
Top 5 Marvel Villains
- KILGRAVE – as portrayed by David Tennant in “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”
- WILSON FISK aka KINGPIN – as portrayed by Vincent D’Onofrio in “Marvel’s Daredevil”
- LOKI – as portrayed by Tom Hiddleston in “Thor,” “Thor: The Dark World,” and “The Avengers”
- ERIK M. LENSHERR aka MAGNETO – as portrayed by Ian McKellen (and Michael Fassbender) in “X-Men,” “X2: X-Men United,” “X-Men: The Last Stand,” “X-Men: First Class,” “The Wolverine,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” and “X-Men: Apocalypse”
- ALEXANDER PIERCE – as portrayed by Robert Redford in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”
Top 5 Marvel Heroes
- MATT MURDOCK aka DAREDEVIL – as portrayed by Charlie Cox in “Marvel’s Daredevil”
- TONY STARK aka IRON MAN – as portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. in “Iron Man,” “Iron Man 2,” “Iron Man 3,” “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “The Incredible Hulk,” and “Captain America: Civil War”
- STEVE ROGERS aka CAPTAIN AMERICA – as portrayed by Chris Evans in “Captain America: The First Avenger,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Captain America: Civil War,” “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Thor: The Dark World,” and “Ant-Man”
- LOGAN aka WOLVERINE – as portrayed by Hugh Jackman in “X-Men,” “X2: X-Men United,” “X-Men: The Last Stand,” “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” “X-Men: First Class,” “The Wolverine,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” and “X-Men: Apocalypse”
- WADE WILSON aka DEADPOOL – as portrayed by Ryan Reynolds in “Deadpool” and “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”
Top 5 DC Villains
- THE JOKER – as portrayed by Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight”
- HARRISON WELLS/EOBARD THAWN aka REVERSE FLASH – as portrayed by Tom Cavanaugh and Matt Letscher in “The Flash”
- GENERAL ZOD – as portrayed by Terence Stamp in “Superman II”
- OSWALD KABELPUT aka THE PENGUIN – as portrayed by Robin Lord Taylor in “Gotham”
- SLADE WILSON aka DEATHSTROKE – as portrayed by Manu Bennett in “Arrow”
HONORABLE MENTION: EDWARD NYGMA aka THE RIDDLER – as portrayed by Cory Michael Smith in “Gotham”
Top 5 DC Heroes
- BARRY ALLEN aka THE FLASH – as portrayed by Grant Gustin in “The Flash”
- BRUCE WAYNE aka BATMAN – as portrayed by Christian Bale in “The Dark Knight” trilogy
- CLARK KENT aka SUPERMAN – as portrayed by Christopher Reeve in “Superman,” “Superman II,” “Superman III,” and “Superman IV”
- OLIVER QUEEN aka THE GREEN ARROW – as portrayed by Stephen Amell in “Arrow”
- CLARK KENT eventually SUPERMAN – as portrayed by Tom Welling in “Smallville”
Top 5 Live Action Villains
- THE JOKER (by Heath Ledger)
- KILGRAVE (by David Tennant)
- REVERSE FLASH (by Tom Cavanaugh/Matt Letscher)
- KINGPIN (by Vincent D’Onofrio)
- LOKI (by Tom Hiddleston)
Top 5 Live Action Heroes
- THE FLASH (by Grant Gustin)
- DAREDEVIL (by Charlie Cox)
- IRON MAN (by Robert Downey Jr.)
- CAPTAIN AMERICA (by Chris Evans)
- BATMAN (by Christian Bale)
NEXT CPU! LIVE! and NEXT TOP 5
CPU! is working on some further live appearances and further “Top 5” debates. Subscribe here or to any of our channels and social media outlets to keep abreast of new announcements, as these features are something we will be doing once every so often to keep us (and you) on our respective toes. Stay tuned!